Welcome to the ULC Minister's Network

Forums » General Discussion

First wedding coming....

    • 1 posts
    December 16, 2016 10:46 AM PST
    Question from NJ. I am having the priveldge of officiating my first wedding next week for my best friend. Do I have to present anything to the county clerk first? Or just when the ceremony is over I present the marriage certificate and license to the clerk?

    Thank you in advance
    • 31 posts
    December 18, 2016 5:27 AM PST

    Do you have your Ministers’ Credentials (been approved) by the County Clerk yet? They have to be approved and recorded and then typically assign you a number referencing the book it was posted in and send you a packet. Have done this in 3 states and has been the general process. I suggest if you haven’t, be waiting for the County Clerks’ to open on Monday morning.

  • December 21, 2016 10:39 AM PST

    Process will vary by state (if there is one).  From: http://www.nj.gov/health/vital/contact-us/faqs/

    Who can perform marriages in New Jersey?
    Each judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, each judge of the federal district court, United States magistrate, judge of a municipal court, judge of the Superior Court, judge of a tax court, retired judge of the Superior Court or Tax Court, or judge of the Superior Court or Tax Court, the former County Court, the former County Juvenile and Domestic Relations Court, or the former County District Court who has resigned in good standing, surrogate of any county, county clerk and any mayor or former mayor not currently serving on the municipal governing body or the deputy mayor when authorized by the mayor, or chairman of any township committee or village president of this State, and every minister of every religion, are hereby authorized to solemnize marriages or civil unions between such persons as may lawfully enter into the matrimonial relation or civil union; and every religious society, institution or organization in this State may join together in marriage or civil union such persons according to the rules and customs of the society, institution or organization. A civil celebrant shall be authorized to solemnize marriages or civil unions if certified by the Secretary of State.

    Can Internet ministers perform my marriage ceremony?
    Yes. It is recommended you check the Internet website for the particular Internet ministry to verify that their ministers are authorized to perform marriage ceremonies.

    So I am not sure if a ULC ordained officiant requires certification by the Secretary of State since they are ordained and are therefore authorized to perform a wedding. A Civil Celebrant is a non-ordained person.

    A law passed in 2014 defines the civil celebrant and makes the clear statement that anyone who is ordained (clergy) can perform a wedding without benefit of being registered with the Secretaty of State of New Jersey. Go to: http://www.nj.gov/state/dos_civil-celebrant.html 

    "Are Clergy of any Religion Required to be Certified by the State Under the New Civil Celebrant Certification Law?

    No.  The Law specifically states that every member of the clergy of every religion is authorized to continue to solemnize marriages or civil unions without having to be a certified civil celebrant under the new law."


    • 31 posts
    December 21, 2016 4:48 PM PST


    Very good, your info will be a big help to forum members.