Welcome to the ULC Minister's Network

Forums » General Discussion

Weddings

• 3 posts
    April 21, 2017 9:32 AM PDT

Hello everyone,

Question:

During the planning stage of a wedding, is the wedding officiant normally expected to plan out/orchestrate the placement and procession of the wedding party during the ceremony?

I am married but the wedding was thirty years ago so I don't really remember the process. : )

• 12 posts
    April 21, 2017 4:31 PM PDT

As I understand it, usually whoever is planning it does that or at least colaberates with the officiant unless the officiant is also the wedding planner. Asking what the couple expects you to do or how involved they wish you to be would probably be the best option.

I was married at the JP so I didn't plan one myself. I just remember some of my friends discussing it.

This post was edited by Amber Fry at April 21, 2017 4:33 PM PDT
    • 3 posts
    April 22, 2017 10:21 AM PDT

Thank you Amber.

Have you officiated any weddings?

I surprised there is no "Wedding Officiant" forums here.

• 12 posts
    April 22, 2017 11:07 AM PDT

No, I haven't yet. I haven't even registered it with my state yet. I didn't want to split attentions too far right now as I'm acutally working on a religious comparison course and a social servicies course right now. 

I think most get their odination though this route so they can officiate a friend or family member's wedding and usually just work with the couple or their wedding planner on how things will be done.

My own goals lean more towards gaining some leadership studies and skills as well as some ministering knowledge. Iwish to fill a void in dealing more with the funeral and sick bed sitting spots in the pagan community. They seem to be lacking somewhat... not entirely absent mind you, but still,  it seems to fall a bit short overall.

This post was edited by Amber Fry at April 22, 2017 11:08 AM PDT
    • 37 posts
    April 26, 2017 8:09 AM PDT

[blockquote]Peter Gentile said:

Hello everyone,

Question:

During the planning stage of a wedding, is the wedding officiant normally expected to plan out/orchestrate the placement and procession of the wedding party during the ceremony?

I am married but the wedding was thirty years ago so I don't really remember the process. : )

[/blockquote]

Normally Peter, this is the Bride and officiant. The groom can have input but it is the bride who has finnal say. It is her day, her Coronation!

Cheers!

• 2 posts
    August 3, 2018 12:19 PM PDT
    I have been asked to officiate a wedding, I don't live in their state but have family near them. I suggested to the bride that she checks out my favorite park about an hour or so away from her and she actually fell in love with my suggested venue. I guess if they don't plan stuff out before they ask you to do the job you could make suggestions... Like have they considered this castle for a backdrop? However placement of bridesmaids and groomsmen should be up to the bride and groom, even if the lines end up looking all jagged because they are not by height. You could suggest it for pictures, but typically it's like a friendship hierarchy.a