Welcome to the ULC Minister's Network

Forums » General Discussion

Starting a New Church

• 2 posts
    July 11, 2016 11:26 AM PDT

Hello :)

I'm new here, and have only just recently become ordained through the Universal Live Church. 

I plan to start a new church, based on what I've been teaching so far.

Briefly: I teach unconditional love - how to live in a state of unconditional love, predominantly, regardless of what's going on around you. My belief is that God is unconditional love; and whenever we feel true unconditional love, we are tuned in and connected - in other words, unconditional love is what God "feels" like. :) The exercises I've created help people to develop the skill (for it is a skill) to remain in that state, with that connection. 

So, my calling is to create the Church of Unconditional Love - where I will share this knowledge and skills - to help people live in unconditional love more easily (since it can be a challenge when dealing with everyday life and the world around us ;) ).

My vision is to start with one community, share the information and establish the process of developing the skill of unconditional love; then hand it over to those who have achieved the state and wish to continue to help others in that community - and then move on to do the same in a new community. I believe that the ability to remain in a state of unconditional love most of the time can change the world as it spreads. :)

I would so appreciate any advice and tips, along with feedback, that more experienced members have to offer. 

Love and Light 

Odille

• July 31, 2016 2:00 PM PDT

Dear Odille,

A lot of what you do depends upon WHERE you are. Each state has its own rules and regulations surrounding creating a church. I would send you the info I have, but it is only for Ohio. 

Your best bet to find information is to start with the term paper's best friend -- Google. just type in 

start church

And read every listing that for a few pages of results. That will give you state specific LEGAL instructions.

Also, I cannot suggest this enough--Evernote. It is free, and allows you to cut and paste entire webpages into your personal database of information.

Beyond that, your post raises a question I myslf have--is it possible to use our OWN church name, or do we need to use a variation off of Universal Life Church? It seems weird to I am ordianed in ULC but I am founding another church. I guess I have to simply absorb a person can be a member of many churches.

Best,

Darrell

• 2 posts
    July 31, 2016 8:44 PM PDT

Hello Darrell :)

Thanks v much for the reply. Yes, I've been doing some research, and there's a lot of information out there. The article on the ULC website (link below) suggested asking for advice here as well. :) Great suggestion regarding Evernote - thank you! :) 

From what I understood from the FAQ and this article: http://ulccaselaw.com/start-your-own-church/ I assumed that starting a new church included using a new name... but, you're right, it doesn't specifically say so. However, I like your point that one can be a member of many churches. :) Another point I discovered during my research is that it is apparently not necessary to be ordained at all to start a church. In fact, if you're starting a brand new church, one of the aspects is setting up a system for ordaining members of your new church. 

I'm off to investigate Evernote now... :) Thanks v much for the reply and advice.

• July 31, 2016 9:00 PM PDT

There is also this 

http://www.ministers-best-friend.com/How-to-start-a-Church-with-immediate-tax-exemption-10-Steps.html

The advice found in there is... unorthodox. I would suggest researching it a little more. Having said that, if those methods work, they are worth knowing about.

But, all that aside, the BEST way to start a Church is pick out your plan and START. Too many people allow the quest for getting it right to stop them form ever starting. While no one should want to make missteps, better to make missteps than no steps. 

What state are you in?

DC

• 1 posts
    September 8, 2016 1:00 PM PDT

Here in Indianapolis, we were fascinated at a startup called the Church of Cannabis, which got beaucoup media attention when plans were announced for its formation (the herbal sacrament wasn't part of the first service.) The church was a response to our lamebrain Indiana governor--yes, THAT Mike Pence having signed a "Religious Freedom Restoration Act" that many saw as a license to discriminate against LGBT people.        The Church of Cannabis hasn't gotten much attention lately, and I don't know whether it's active. But consider Mike Pence our gift to the nation. We're done with him, for sure. At least he won't be governor after this first term expires.

• 4 posts
    October 27, 2016 6:17 AM PDT

It IS still active, I'm happy to say.  I've got some friends that are involved, and I've visited a few times out of curiousity.  I was pleasantly surprised at what I learned there, it's really not about the plant, but about loving one another.

And, Dan, SO good to see someone from Indy on here!

• 31 posts
    November 30, 2016 5:31 PM PST

Dear Odille,

I was not happy with the current churches where I lived in TX and WA and neither were my friends. This is why I became ordained. Mine was very simple so no next to file with the IRS for tax status, or State, or county offices. It/I was considered just a gathering of friends. It really made life simple. Tithing was doing community service and volunteer work. I had a house with a large basement which was not used and friends donated chairs, decorations, and other things that were needed. Others brought refreshments and there was a signup list and some left a few bucks, or brought coffee, cup, and the like.

Since there was no need to collect money for operations we could focus on what Jesus asked us to do.

“Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

So when they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me more than these?” He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.” He said to him, “Tend My lambs.” He said to him again a second time, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me?” He said to Him, “Yes, Lord; You know that I love You.” He said to him, “Shepherd My sheep.” He said to him the third time, “Simon, son of John, do you love Me?” Peter was grieved because He said to him the third time, “Do you love Me?” And he said to Him, “Lord, You know all things; You know that I love You.” Jesus said to him, “Tend My sheep.”

This was the bases of our belief. The fundamental shift in my understanding in my relationship with out supreme creator, mine I call GOD. Was from reading The Shack (which was the name of your church/congregation The Shack on the Island), this had the greatest shift on how I view my relationship with GOD and others. If you haven’t read it I would suggest you do.

This 248-page book tells the story of Mack (Mackenzie Allen Phillips), a father of six whose past is overshadowed by the pain of a difficult relationship with his father. The story is told as if by Mack’s friend, Willie. During a camping trip Mack’s daughter, Missy, is abducted, and her blood-stained dress is later found at an abandoned shack in the mountains, casting Mack into a deep darkness that he calls The Great Sadness. Some time later he receives a letter, apparently from God, inviting him to come to the shack. Mack makes the journey, and upon arrival he meets the three persons of the trinity. God appears as Papa, a plump African American lady who loves to cook; Jesus as a Middle-Eastern carpenter; and the Holy Spirit as Sarayu, a slight Asian lady who likes to garden. Mack arrives at the shack on page 80, and the following 156 pages detail a series of conversations and shared experiences between Mack and Papa, Jesus and Sarayu. During this encounter, a wide range of issues are discussed in varying degrees of detail. The conversations lead Mack through a healing process as he deals with the hurt both of Missy’s loss and his own childhood

The following were a few of the top for me.

Mack asked God about the high archly of the Trinity. God seemed amused and asked how human. Neither of us we don’t need that. When you respect the other no one needs to be appointed.

Jesus took Mack for a walk in the woods and the came upon a lake. Jesus said we need to go to the

side and started walking just below the water without sinking and in a bit looked back and Mack was standing at the water’s edge. Jesus beckoned him to continue like Jesus was doing. Mack was afraid but finally did. I was the process interaction, and relationship that was the thing.

Mack asked GOD for a favor and GOD said it would be done and I will ask a favor from you. Mack agreed. Mack asked God to take the man who killed his daughter to Hell and have him suffer for eternity. God said he was willing to do that. The God asked a favor, for him to pick one of his children and God would do the same to his child. Mack could not believe what God has asked and began to protest. God replied, I am only asking you to do what you asked me to do to one of my children.

Hope this made sense and wish you much success.

My all Blessings come you way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!