Welcome to the ULC Minister's Network

Forums » ULC Questions & Answers

Funerals

• August 1, 2016 4:47 AM PDT

Has anyone performed a Funeral?

• August 4, 2016 3:05 PM PDT

No, but that is one of my goals. 
    Albeit, I'm not aiming toward traditional funerals (but will certainly oblige if asked!)...my idea is to provide for those who seek alternative end of life ceremonies...such as 'celebrations of life,' for instance. 
    Since physician assisted suicide is now legal in Washington, eventually it should be an example other states follow...and there might be opportunities for people to gather before someone's planned death - a sort of bon voyage party for the ultimate journey. I'm thinking of Hunter S. Thompson (of course, his wasn't physician assisted but he never did things 'by the book!')

My mom crossed in February of 2015...I had taken care of her for over a decade, and the last couple of years I did everything for her but feed her (she was still able to do that0. I gave the eulogy at her funeral and I was told by my sweetheart that there wasn't a dry eye in the place. Of course, I knew her, so that is not the same as what we're talking about. But I think (I know!) I could do it and do it well.

• February 14, 2017 8:42 PM PST

Yes, and a very stresful situation.

Our neighbours' son died unexpectedly about 11 months before this question was oiginally posted. I did the memorial service about three weeks after he died (to allow for the cremains to be transported back here, and family to gather). During the service, I seemed very calm and collected, but inside I had Star Destroyers doing maneuvers in my stomach. When I walked out of the service, I started shaking like a leaf in an October wind.

http://www.everestofthunderbay.com/book-of-memories/2250412/Franklin-Mr-David-Raymond-James/webcast/webcast-video.php?EventId=5557

That's the URL for the service. Depending on the laws in your jurisdiction, you may need certification to actually perform the funeral. In Ontario, any one can perform the service, but not care for the body. Check with the appropriate laws and regulations for the jurisdiction you live in.