Welcome to the ULC Minister's Network

Forums » Off-Topic Discussions

Same sex marriage help

• 3 posts
    August 3, 2016 10:38 PM PDT

I plan to make some bussines cards and want to incorporate that i do same sex marriages. My issue is i dont neccesarily like labels and have no clue how to put in a proper way that sounds good to me.  Any ideas on how i can promote this in a good light with positive wording.

• August 4, 2016 2:58 PM PDT

How about 'mixed gender unions' or something like that? Implying that you will wed all legal combinations?

• 3 posts
    August 4, 2016 3:13 PM PDT

I like that very much sounds very profesional. Thank you Ani

• August 6, 2016 11:13 PM PDT

I'm glad you like it...it just came off the top of my head when I read your post! I will use it, too.

• 2 posts
    August 23, 2016 8:34 AM PDT

I have on my website "proud to be LBGTQ friendly" which is an acronym for the labels and I know you weren't going for that but most of the community recognizes this and I've not had any issues or complaints thus far.  Good luck!  

• 31 posts
    December 1, 2016 11:24 AM PST

The reasons I became ordained 1. Was not able to find a church that wasn’t money first and Feeding My Sheep second. 2nd Having grown up in the Catholic church, School, & College was rather well versed in catholic theological. I had an Aunt who was a widow. She met a catholic gentleman (who’s ran off with some other guy) both of whom we active practicing Catholic’s at different churches. So, after dating 4 years they wanted to get married, which means only a marriage in the Catholic Church. They were couldn’t because he was divorced and even though he was the injured party the church would not approve the marriage and if they did get married they would be sinners. So, for the next 40 or 50 years dated and dies alone. I met a Catholic priest at a hospital I did volunteer work at and became friends I think he was about 70. We had many conversation about the catholic, religion, spirituality. He was in a 5 year process of resigning his ordination. So many of the Priest would sent couples to him that wanted a divorce and their hands would be clean. Which he was happy to do. So, I started doing Catholic weddings on a military base in of the multi nondenominal chapels during hours they were not scheduled any activities. We would bring out the catholic setup and I did the weddings. The couples knew it wasn’t a church sanctioned but that what they wanted. We all felt man had distorted God’s Intent. 3rd when I took a job transfer a young lady who work in the clinic who lived with her girlfriend and they wanted to get married. I had worked there for 3 years and have seen the many times together in different gettogethers and parties. They were a loving couple with a healthy relationship and couldn’t get married. Then the state had just approved same sex marriage but they had difficulty finding someone who would marry them. Even though the law change there was great resistance for the religious community to do so. After some time of trying I offered my services. So now primarily I was performing marriage ceremonies for catholic and LBGTQ community. I saw what I believed how the so called religious leaders were detrimental to HIS children. I do not believe a true loving GOD would accept His children being treated in such a manner. I have been encourage by the new Pope changing some of these Men created laws.

• 37 posts
    April 3, 2017 10:01 AM PDT

[blockquote]Riley Talbot said:

I plan to make some bussines cards and want to incorporate that i do same sex marriages. My issue is i dont neccesarily like labels and have no clue how to put in a proper way that sounds good to me.  Any ideas on how i can promote this in a good light with positive wording.

[/blockquote]

How about, I perform marriages, weddings, handfastings, etc. Marriage is genderless in its-self. 

This post was edited by Sosev Menw at April 3, 2017 10:02 AM PDT
  • December 11, 2020 2:09 PM PST

I feel you should just put on your business card you do marriage, let the couple come to you. Or you can say all is welcome this way you won't feel you have offended anyone.

I see Joseph Knospick have a good idea