Welcome to the ULC Minister's Network

Forums » Comparative Religions

Stake Or Cross

• August 11, 2020 10:13 AM PDT

Hi. Blessings and good day to you all.

Some food for thought. Yesterday I was having a discussion with and older gentleman whom has been quite serious in his beliefs and religion for many...many years. We'll call him Joe. His religion is Jehovah's Witness. I respect all religions so that does not bother me. I just wanted you to have an idea on where and how "Joe" gets his ideology. 

Joe went on to state that back in the time of Jesus and the crucifixion, there were no cross's. That during that time period the guilty were put on stakes.

Any thoughts or knowledge about this subject? I'm very interested in your thoughts :-) 

• December 15, 2020 7:01 PM PST
    I believe the Romans had the stakes already in place and the condemned were tied to a vertical beam by ropes then hoisted up to the top of the stake forming more of a “T” than an actual cross. The pictures of nails being used in the hands and/or wrists doesn’t make sense since they cannot hold the victim’s body weight.
    • 5 posts
    January 22, 2022 9:39 AM PST
    CROSS is stauros (stav-ROS). Despite what Cross-hating cults such as the Jehovah's Witnesses say, a stauros was not merely a pole or 'torture stake' (as the Watchtower 'bible' says) in the time of Jesus but had a crosspiece. The Roman stauros was originally a pole but before the time of Jesus a crosspiece had been added to prolong suffering. Ignoring the endless linguistic squabble as to whether stauros meant a cross or a pole by the time of our Lord Jesus, I point to history: The earliest depiction of a Roman crucifixion, from the late first century, is of a cross not a pole. Reality trumps theory. You can verify this for yourself by going to Google Images and typing in 'earliest depiction of Roman crucifixion'. Those who insist that by the time of our Lord Jesus Christ a Roman stauros was merely a stake or pole are deceived or willfully ignorant. Ignore that Jehovah's Witness ringing your doorbell. (I was a Jehovah's Witness for three years in my teens. See my book I Was A Teenage Jehovah's Witness.
    This post was edited by Thomas Thomas at January 22, 2022 9:55 AM PST
    • 5 posts
    January 22, 2022 9:47 AM PST

[blockquote]Minister Donald J Rothschild said: I believe the Romans had the stakes already in place and the condemned were tied to a vertical beam by ropes then hoisted up to the top of the stake forming more of a “T” than an actual cross. The pictures of nails being used in the hands and/or wrists doesn’t make sense since they cannot hold the victim’s body weight.[/blockquote]

The hands could not take the weight but the wrist can. The "space of Destot" in the wrist is where Romans drove the nails. In Koine Greek, the Greek of the Levant (the Mediterranean world of the first century AD), the word for 'hand' included the wrist. Many experiments with corpses in the 19th and early 20th centuries demonstrated that a nail thru the space of Destot can easily hold the weight of an adult male. See Dr. Pierre Barbet's groundbreaking work A Doctor At Calvary.

• 3 posts
    January 27, 2022 9:57 AM PST

I (non-christian), personally, think Jesus was crucified on the cross. However another commenter said the nails "cannot hold the victim’s body weight". I'm not sure what strength the nails would have had but if he was nailed to it the nails would have had to have been strong. 

• 5 posts
    January 27, 2022 10:07 AM PST
    [blockquote]Rev. Luke K said:

I (non-christian), personally, think Jesus was crucified on the cross. However another commenter said the nails "cannot hold the victim’s body weight". I'm not sure what strength the nails would have had but if he was nailed to it the nails would have had to have been strong.

[/blockquote]

I already posted on this topic. See above.
    This post was edited by Thomas Thomas at January 27, 2022 10:47 AM PST
    • 1 posts
    February 10, 2022 1:35 AM PST

Hi. Blessings and good day to you all. low lights on dark brown hair

Some food for idea. Yesterday I turned into having a discussion with and older gentleman whom has been pretty extreme in his ideals and religion for lots...A few years. We'll name him Joe. His religion is Jehovah's Witness. I admire all religions so that doesn't bother me. I just wanted you to have an concept on in which and how "Joe" receives his ideology.