Welcome to the ULC Minister's Network

Forums » General Discussion

Needing advice and suggestions for new path in life.

• 1 posts
    October 23, 2021 9:59 AM PDT

I'm looking for some suggestions and advice.

I got ordained through ULC way back in 2013 after going through an incredibly rough patch of my life. I really had a desire to figure out a better way of helping people than using my hands and brains to fix their cars, houses and other material issues.

I never went through any form of Seminary, but have read and studied pretty much every religious text from every faith I could get my hands on over the last 40 years of my life and feel that I have a very solid knowledge of all types of spirituality and a better understanding of how biblical stories were intended to work than most. 

I recently got diagnosed with a form of muscular dystrophy that is quickly destroying the muscles in my hands, legs and feet, forcing me to give up EVERYTHING I have known in the past as far as being a self employed fixer, musician, artist and many other things I have loved doing over the years.

Going through the medical turmoil of the last few years, and watching what is happening all around the globe, I'm trying to figure out a way that I can help people with my mind and heart instead of my hands and legs.

I really want to start something similar to those MR. FIXIT types of shows on Sunday radio stations but online in a one on one type of setting . I guess you could call it life coaching, or counseling without "counseling". It'd be something I could walk people through finding WHOLE solutions instead of slapping a band aid on something. 

I really want to help people with anything they might be dealing with by using my wide range of knowledge and experience. "got a leaky pipe? I can walk ya through it". "got a flat tire? I can walk ya through it." "need help researching a medical condition and putting together some questions to ask your doctor? I can help ya with that." "just need someone to chat with and toss around ideas during a rough patch in your life? Let me help." "Questions about spiritual stuff? Absolutely!"

So my question is, does anyone have any advice or suggestions about how to maybe get something like this started?

The biggest hurdle I am struggling with right now is the income aspect. I wouldn't need to charge much considering I've got everything I need to get setup and started and would be doing this from home do to my physical limitations, but I do need some form of income to pay my own bills.

Maybe there would be a way to get setup for taking donations so others could support my time that I would be investing in helping those that couldn't afford it?

The second biggest hurdle is just getting the word out there that this is an option without spending any money on advertising. It's just gonna be me doing this, so advertising would probably blow up in my face beings I wouldn't be able to handle the traffic with public advertising. It needs to be directed and tailored to a certain group for the time beings. 

I don't see any legal issues due to the fact that I wouldn't be giving out anything other than my advice and opinions. Most of my knowledge and experience would be stuff that people could easily find online if they wanted to invest their own time and energy.

I would be creating a simple "disclaimer" for people to sign prior to helping them making it clear that I am not certified, or degreed in any form and that I can't be held responsible for the actions they take after talking to me which should cover most of the "legal" issues I might encounter down the road.

I really feel drawn to this path and believe that I could really help a lot of people in need that are out there struggling with all types of things that for someone like me, have always been easy fixes.

I appreciate any suggestions or advice Y'all might be able to throw my way. THANKS!!