Welcome to the ULC Minister's Network

Forums » Comparative Religions

Did Moses really get the 10 Commandment’s

• 31 posts
    December 21, 2016 7:08 PM PST

Did Moses really get the 10 Commandment’s we know today on his first trip. I question a lot of stuff in the Bible. We know it has been translated, rewritten several times, and the books of the Kings James or other Bibles around where not written in current order today. I wonder, if when Moses came down from Mount Sinai and saw how society had changed threw down the Stone Tablets, hiked back up and asked Jesus for something else. Could it have been the first set where based on higher principles. Peace, love for fellow Man, all were equal and shared for the common good? Moses questioned if his people were ready for that and asked for some that might have a better chance of being attained.

The Gospel according to Paul (just a little humor)

This post was edited by Paul Moore at December 21, 2016 7:09 PM PST
    • 32 posts
    January 15, 2017 3:18 PM PST
    Lol. Interesting thought experiement.
  • January 17, 2017 9:09 AM PST

Well, we have found many of the original Greek translations of the New Testament that are very early. In addition, discoveries like the Dead Sea Scrolls show how close our current English translations are to the original Hebrew. The only real errors to be found are things like spelling, grammar, and syntax changes. The message is the same. It is one thing to question and seek truth, it is another thing to be an outright heretic.

• 31 posts
    January 17, 2017 4:04 PM PST

Andrew,

Thank you for your kind words and recognizing I ask questions just as Jesus did in the Garden of Gethsemane.

• 32 posts
    January 17, 2017 6:13 PM PST
    Questions are good, indeed.
    • 31 posts
    January 17, 2017 7:35 PM PST

Auntie,

I always enjoy readings you writings and pics. Always uplifting and without malice. You ae indeed an example of this Ministry of Love.

May you be blessed; may you’re cup overflow to those in need.

Your friend in Agape

• 37 posts
    April 3, 2017 11:33 AM PDT

One of the first things to know about the old testament, particulary the five books of Moses, were that they were transmitted oraly from Master to Pupil. They were spoken word for word withouterror. The Master had to have the text completely and perfectly emeorized. No room for error. When the first scribes wrote the scrolls of the books (Torah) they were given the books orally and with out error. Every scribe that copied the Torah did so perfectly and exactly with out error. If the Oral masters and or the Scribes errored, the punishment for not correcting the error, would be severe, even stoning. So, Just from the OT, yeah Moses came down with 10 commandments.  That is not all he brought. but that is what he carried. 

However do not let Cesil B De Mille or Mel Brooks ruin your view of Moses and Mt Sinai!

Joseph.

PS, You know that there are two sets of commandments  Ex 20 and Deut 5 

This post was edited by Sosev Menw at April 3, 2017 11:34 AM PDT
    • 37 posts
    April 3, 2017 11:39 AM PDT
    • 14 posts
    April 5, 2017 11:37 AM PDT

[blockquote]Joseph Knopick said:

One of the first things to know about the old testament, particulary the five books of Moses, were that they were transmitted oraly from Master to Pupil. They were spoken word for word withouterror. The Master had to have the text completely and perfectly emeorized. No room for error. When the first scribes wrote the scrolls of the books (Torah) they were given the books orally and with out error. Every scribe that copied the Torah did so perfectly and exactly with out error. If the Oral masters and or the Scribes errored, the punishment for not correcting the error, would be severe, even stoning. So, Just from the OT, yeah Moses came down with 10 commandments.  That is not all he brought. but that is what he carried. 

PS, You know that there are two sets of commandments  Ex 20 and Deut 5 

[/blockquote]

In regard to the transmission of the Torah text, where did you come by what you perceive to be the transmission of the text?

P.S. - There are three versions given in the Torah, none of which, incidentally, are labeled as the the Ten Commandments.

L'shalom,

Peter

This post was edited by Rabbi O at April 5, 2017 11:37 AM PDT
    • 14 posts
    April 5, 2017 11:45 AM PDT

[blockquote]Andrew Heckmaster said:

In addition, discoveries like the Dead Sea Scrolls show how close our current English translations are to the original Hebrew.

[/blockquote]

The "original Hebrew"? You mean how, for example, there are two different versions of Jeremiah, in Hebrew, among the Dead Sea Scrolls?

L'shalom,

Peter

• 14 posts
    April 5, 2017 11:49 AM PDT

[blockquote]Paul Moore said:

I wonder, if when Moses came down from Mount Sinai and saw how society had changed threw down the Stone Tablets, hiked back up and asked Jesus for something else.

[/blockquote]

You'll understand that my perspective is that of a Jew and a seminary trained rabbi and as such I find this comment to be, at least on one level, very funny.

L'shalom,

Peter

This post was edited by Rabbi O at April 5, 2017 11:50 AM PDT
    • 32 posts
    April 18, 2017 11:04 PM PDT
    Thank you. And much love to you,spiritual brother! [blockquote]Paul Moore said:

Auntie,

I always enjoy readings you writings and pics. Always uplifting and without malice. You ae indeed an example of this Ministry of Love.

May you be blessed; may you’re cup overflow to those in need.

Your friend in Agape

[/blockquote]