Welcome to the ULC Minister's Network

Forums » Off-Topic Discussions

Clergy Shirts

• June 23, 2016 11:19 AM PDT

I've been looking at clergy shirts the last few days and they are normally in different colours than the standard Black which the ULC has in its shop. Does it matter what color shirt you wear? 

• June 24, 2016 1:58 PM PDT

I personally dont believe it matters on color its your choice you have to be happy with it .. just my .02

• July 1, 2016 1:48 PM PDT

I always thought Red was for a Cardinal . Purple for a Bishop.  But I have seen vicars wearing stripy clergy shirts.

• July 2, 2016 10:30 PM PDT

Greetings Brother James & Brother William,

You are both correct.  If  you  are  part  of  a  church denomination (ex. Methodist or Catholic)  that allow clergy or require clergy  to  wear  clergy  shirts then  one  follows their mandates.  i.e. Purple for Bishops etc.  [Search  the  internet  for articles  on  color  meaning.]   However,  since you  have  been  ordained  by  the ULM  [I  am not a spokesperson  for  the  ULC]  it  does  not  matter  what  color  you  use,  nor  does  it  matter  if  you wear  a  clergy  shirt  at  all.   (Though a white  one to perform weddings  is  traditional.)   Here's  why  it  does  not  matter.  The ULC  has a proud history  of  ordaining those outside the traditional organized church as the ones mentioned above.  You  therefore  are  the  makers  of  your  own  church  practices.  And  since  the United States Constitution prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion (our 1st amendment right)  it  does not matter  what  color  shirt  you  chose  to  wear.  And Brother James,  I  just  noticed  you  are  in  "GB"  which  also  has laws governing religious freedom.  If  nothing  else  we all  do  under  United  Nations Article 18.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_religion_in_the_United_Kingdom

Hope this informs you.

Shalom,  Chaplain  Julz

^ And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh ^

This post was edited by Chaplain Julia Rachel McMahon Mreczko M.Div at July 2, 2016 10:56 PM PDT
    • 31 posts
    December 1, 2016 6:34 PM PST

Because you can may not mean it's alway wise to do

• January 18, 2017 3:36 AM PST

Check out the vast selection and incredibly reasonable prices you can find of all manner of religious clothing on Ebay...

Everything from:

1. new, high quality, classic design Clergy Shirts with Clerical Collar for under $30 (pic 1) - I am a happy owner of one of these!

2. to nice, new Vestments, Chasuble robes etc for $40 - $90  (examples, see pic 2 for a  $30 item, 3 for $50)

3. look at an example (pic 4) of the increadibly beautiful cricifixes you can order from Chinese sellers... 
    The ones pictured are UNDER $2.50! (Not a Typo - it was $2.32 each, including shipping!!)  I have bought MANY of these - they are very sturdy, made of thick metal and are high quality - I wear mine even while performing vigerous labor such as auto repairs and landscaping - they have taken all my abuse without degrading or breaking!  Simply amazing.  The Rosary Beads necklace and large engraved wooden Crucifix pendant shown in pic 5 was just over $2.50.  If you spend just a tiny little bit more the selection is endless!

4. And, for those with truly refined tastes who can afford it: authentic, vintage hand-embroidered cassocks, vestments, chausibles, etc from the end of the Middle ages to the Victorian era can be had for a many $hundereds to a few $thousand (for example see pic 6 and 7, both around $400 - $500)  items from Victorian era onwards go for only a few hundered... VERY BEAUTIFUL!

The prices above include tax & shipping...

Peace,

Jason Bender

• 37 posts
    April 2, 2017 7:45 AM PDT

[blockquote]Reverend James Atkinson said:

I've been looking at clergy shirts the last few days and they are normally in different colours than the standard Black which the ULC has in its shop. 

[/blockquote]

Check out Divinty, they offer 35 diffent colors in tab and banded. Saddly, I do not think that they have Roman style. Plus Divinty offers 4 shirt package for about $100US. http://www.divinityclergywear.com/clerical-tab-collar-shirts/%20

blockquote]Reverend James Atkinson said: 

Does it matter what color shirt you wear? 

[/blockquote]

No Actually the color does not matter as much anymore. Traditionally the Black was the color of the cleric. The Protestant Reofrmation in an effort that was to far removed from Rome, in order to "dump" the Papacy entirely many denominations did away with the black. The Pastors and Parsons looked liked everyone else. A Scottish Presbyterian Minister in the 18th Century invented the collar. He first had a white collar folded over a white shirt. Being two collars instead of one. Later he created the Banded Collar and placed it about his neck in loo of the neck tie as was the custom of Men in proper society. The Collar caught on and was enetually introduce with a black shirt front. Roman Priest did not wear the collar until the 19th and 20th centuries. 

Joseph

This post was edited by Sosev Menw at April 2, 2017 7:52 AM PDT
    • 37 posts
    April 2, 2017 7:53 AM PDT

One more thing. Wear the color for the seson/liturigcal calendar.

• 32 posts
    April 18, 2017 10:52 PM PDT

Saffron and ruby are traditional in buddhism. Red, white, black and yellow are sacred to many native american grpups. Etc etc If you follow a particular path you may want to research and honor its traditions. Otherwise choose something significant to yourself that feels right.

This post was edited by Auntie Moira at April 18, 2017 10:54 PM PDT
    • 37 posts
    April 19, 2017 3:32 AM PDT

[blockquote]Auntie Moira said:

Saffron and ruby are traditional in buddhism. Red, white, black and yellow are sacred to many native american grpups. Etc etc If you follow a particular path you may want to research and honor its traditions. Otherwise choose something significant to yourself that feels right.

[/blockquote]

good point.