Welcome to the ULC Minister's Network

Forums » General Discussion

Making Next Year Better Than The Year Before

• 10 posts
    December 29, 2018 11:20 PM PST
    I welcome all to join me in my commitment towards next year being better than the year before.

The following are the values under which we are all ordained at ULC.

Our fundamental tasks are to promote freedom of religion and to "do that which is right" - core tenets that underscore everything we do.
    "we are all children of the same universe."
    The ULC is open to people of all faiths, offering everyone the religious freedom to become an ordained minister and practice your beliefs.
    Those who get ordained with the Universal Life Church are empowered to take control of their own spiritual lives and do good in their own worlds.

I commit to honoring my Ordination with ULC by upholding the values.

With this foundation of commitment we can build by working together towards a common goal.

May peace be with you.
    This post was edited by Larry Makinson at December 29, 2018 11:44 PM PST
    • 10 posts
    December 29, 2018 11:34 PM PST
    Please post what you feel we can do better towards making this site a better place along with what we can do towards helping others here on this site and the rest of the World.

From your postings we will be able to make a prioritized list of what we can do to start making 2019 better than the year before.

Our light will be brighter together than if we stand alone and our accomplishments will also be greater.

Please where possible make one post and edit your post to add information. Do not be concerned if you have to make multiple posts. Just please do not spam this forum.

May peace be with you.
    This post was edited by Larry Makinson at December 29, 2018 11:45 PM PST
    • 10 posts
    December 29, 2018 11:39 PM PST

My Concern List:

1:  People that sign up and stay are a very low percentage.  I feel that when people leave it is because they do not feel welcome. 

How do we improve our ability to make people welcome?

• 19 posts
    December 30, 2018 11:14 AM PST

(Larry, blog owner - As I wrote this, it just got longer and longer. If it is... not what you had in mind(?), let me know. I'll be glad to delete it or just leave some very short piece that better meets your requirements. I'm not even sure it'll fit in the comment space anyway.)

I've been a member for less than 6 months. Those of us who've joined for spiritual enrichment, fulfillment or growth (as opposed to one-time events, jokers, spammers, etc.) decide how active we are and whether we continue based personal time constraints of course, but also on how we're treated. How we're treated is based on how we are perceived by others. I had hoped to find a place to discuss/expand/understand others beliefs and reasons. For the most part, this has not been my experience. My personal spirituality does not match that of many of the most vocal members here. Some even seem "offended" by my thoughts.

So IMO the answer to your own first stated concern is to get members to recognize their beliefs are not the only beliefs, that their beliefs are no more "right" than anyone else's beliefs, and to ensure everyone realizes that to suggest someone with a different outlook "keep your beliefs to yourself" (yep, that was 'said' to me) is *not* very welcoming; nor is it even in accordance with the minimal tenets of the ULC. This is not the way of love, sharing, understanding.

My concerns:
    #1 - How to encourage open respectful dialogue; exchange of ideas, thoughts, beliefs and reasons for holding those beliefs. This will help us find our commonalities, instead of focusing on our differences.

#2 - How to get people to move outside their own familiar comfort zone (stasis). Become truly informed, so you can become an active, productive agent of change (if only in your own life, your own private little corner of the world). We each must continue to grow and evolve or, as Woody Allen said in...Annie Hall maybe(?), "we got a dying shark on our hands".

#3 - How to get participation and true cooperation and ideas for "doing good" for all, individually or as a [maybe small] group effort -- letter campaign to digital or print news, to each U.S. state rep, whatever equivalent is in Sweden, Canada, England, what ever other "democratic representative" countries (not sure which ones besides Romania [he doesn't speak much English and I don't speak his native language at all]) are members here. Issues such as global warming really is a global problem; the Pacific garbage patch isn't just coming from North American trash; destruction of rain forests isn't solely because of product demand from wealthier countries; basic education, sanitation, and infrastructure programs require gov't tax dollar investment... so many more issues could be tackled together.

• 10 posts
    January 1, 2019 5:38 PM PST
    Let us give gratitude and honor our teachers by remembering what we have been taught.

The following is a record of some of the 2019 postings I have made on the home page.

Words to remember as we start our New Year.

Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
    Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted.
    Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
    Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
    Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
    Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see our Lord.
    Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of our Lord.

Let us remember.
    Knowledge comes from that without, Understanding comes from that within.
    Violence comes from that without, Peace comes from that within.
    When we run, we can escape that without, But not that within.
    If we want peace with that without, Make peace with that within.

May peace be with you.

Let us remember.
    The more knowledge we gain the more dangerous we become.
    The more knowledge we have the more important the understanding of right and wrong.
    Let us keep our balance of understanding equal to our balance of knowledge.
    Let us understand the knowledge we have first before seeking more knowledge.
    For to much knowledge without understanding, creates frustration and a clouded mind.
    Let our decisions we make, be that of a clear mind.

May peace be with you.

Let us remember.
    The only one that knows for sure what the actions or words of a person mean is the person that performed the action or spoke/wrote the words.
    Therefore, when we view another person's actions or words that we feel are wrong, the first thing we need to do is ask ourselves, "Is there something that I do not understand", and not pass judgement against another.
    The knowledge of actions and words of another is not enough alone, understanding is required also.
    The understanding of actions and words of another is true communication.

May peace be with you.

Let us remember
    Pride gets in our way of knowledge and understanding.
    Let us control our pride so that we can concentrate on that which we do not know instead of that which we do. This will allow us to listen.
    Let us nurture a spirit of humility. This will allow us to learn.
    Let us maintain peace and tranquility within our heart. This will allow us to focus.
    Let us not be concerned about understanding the knowledge. This will prevent frustration.
    Let us listen to our light from within. Letting our lord, provide us understanding.

May peace be with you.

Let us remember.

Let our actions be those of honor, by giving honor.
    Let the trail we leave behind be that of integrity, so that others, will follow our example and do the same.
    May we forge a path forward with virtue, so that others, following our example will do the same.
    May we give thanks for the opportunity to forge our own path, by helping others, to be able to forge a path of their own.

May peace be with you.

Let us remember

When we have learned enough knowledge and understanding to forge our own path.
    Let us show respect for our teachers.
    Let us remember that it is not just people that are our teachers, but rather all that is around us.
    Let us remember to pass on that which we have learned and allow those that follow a chance to be able to forge their own path also.
    Let us remember that some responsibilities are cast upon us, by that which we have achieved.
    Let us remember that how we accept and manage our responsibilities, will be defining of us.

May peace be with you.

Let us remember

Let us remember; that what we will learn, is that which we are exposed to.
    Let us remember; we can not stop knowledge, understanding we must seek.
    Let us remember; we can know good, but that does not mean we understand it.
    Let us remember; we can know evil, but that does not mean we understand it.
    Let us remember; that if we wish to learn the understanding of what good and evil is, then we will need to have knowledge of both, to develop understanding from.
    Lets us remember; that which we will become, is defined by our understanding, of that which is good and that which is evil.
    Let us remember; when we only pay attention towards good, then evil will creep in.
    Let us remember; when we pay attention to evil and know what not to do, what we will do will be that of good, for that is all that is left.

May peace be with you.

This post was edited by Larry Makinson at January 7, 2019 8:44 PM PST
    • 10 posts
    January 1, 2019 9:15 PM PST
    How we view a good morning/day/etc. post?

When someone posts good morning/day/etc; should we not all click like on it?

When someone sees that we have clicked like on another post but not their good morning/day/etc. post; how do we think they feel?

In this event the person feels that their good morning/day/etc. post is not worthy of a like. Do we want to make another feel unworthy?

Perhaps we should be clicking like on all good morning/day/etc. posts. Perhaps as ministers we should put forth the extra effort and provide a good example for others by leaving a comment of good will also.

If by clicking like we can stop another from a feeling of worthlessness, just think how great they feel when we show them they are worthy of a reply.

Perhaps more people would post and come here more often if they did not have to risk the feeling of worthlessness and experienced the feeling of worthy.

Let us spread our light for all to see; the darkness will fall; then their light will shine bright also.

May peace be with you.
    This post was edited by Larry Makinson at January 1, 2019 9:17 PM PST
    • 10 posts
    January 5, 2019 8:24 PM PST
    Concerns and possible solutions.

This post will be updated as concerns and solutions are provided by members.

Concern: People that sign up and stay are a very low percentage. I feel that when people leave it is because they do not feel welcome.

How do we improve our ability to make people welcome?

Solution: How we view a good morning/day/etc. post?

When someone posts good morning/day/etc; should we not all click like on it?
    When someone sees that we have clicked like on another post but not their good morning/day/etc. post; how do we think they feel?
    In this event the person feels that their good morning/day/etc. post is not worthy of a like. Do we want to make another feel unworthy?
    Perhaps we should be clicking like on all good morning/day/etc. posts. Perhaps as ministers we should put forth the extra effort and provide a good example for others by leaving a comment of good will also.
    If by clicking like we can stop another from a feeling of worthlessness, just think how great they feel when we show them they are worthy of a reply.
    Perhaps more people would post and come here more often if they did not have to risk the feeling of worthlessness and experienced the feeling of worthy.
    Let us spread our light for all to see; the darkness will fall; then their light will shine bright also.
    May peace be with you.

Concern: How to encourage open respectful dialogue; exchange of ideas, thoughts, beliefs and reasons for holding those beliefs. This will help us find our commonalities, instead of focusing on our differences.

Solution: For every one that leads others will follow. For those that are not ready to forge their own path they will learn how to function in life by copying what others do. They will do this mainly because of the fear of being different. Until a person has developed enough understanding in order to forge their own path and understand that being different is what will define our path and make us the best we can be, a person lives in fear of themselves, manifested within themselves due to the lack of understanding. Through developing understanding a person will develop faith within themselves and faith within their beliefs towards doing that which they believe is right. As the faith increases the fear decreases. For many faith will diminish the fear to a point where they are able to forge a path of their own. Also, known as the fear of the Lord that we start out in and the love of the Lord we develop, from our faith within ourselves to know we are following the path of light, that removes the fear by our understanding that our fear is a manifestation within our soul the same as our faith. We need to remember that because of free will a soul will feed on that which it is exposed to, the light or the dark. What is reaped will be that which is sowed. Knowledge cannot be stopped therefore understanding must be taught if we wish for a soul to be part of the light and not mislead by the dark. A soul will seek faith to get away from the fear, and both the light and the dark can provide faith, the understanding will be the determination of the path a soul will follow.

We lead by the light and set an example for others to follow.

Concern: How to get people to move outside their own familiar comfort zone (stasis). Become truly informed, so you can become an active, productive agent of change (if only in your own life, your own private little corner of the world). We each must continue to grow and evolve or, as Woody Allen said in...Annie Hall maybe(?), "we got a dying shark on our hands".

Solution: Waiting for input!!!

Concern: How to get participation and true cooperation and ideas for "doing good" for all, individually or as a [maybe small] group effort -- letter campaign to digital or print news, to each U.S. state rep, whatever equivalent is in Sweden, Canada, England, what ever other "democratic representative" countries (not sure which ones besides Romania [he doesn't speak much English and I don't speak his native language at all]) are members here. Issues such as global warming really is a global problem; the Pacific garbage patch isn't just coming from North American trash; destruction of rain forests isn't solely because of product demand from wealthier countries; basic education, sanitation, and infrastructure programs require gov't tax dollar investment... so many more issues could be tackled together.

Solution: Waiting for input!!!

This post was edited by Larry Makinson at January 5, 2019 8:34 PM PST
  • January 20, 2019 12:12 AM PST

This is an excellent concept for a thread! 

My experience around a variety of social media networks leads me to conclude that while a good concept, theme or idea brings people in, the level of activity plays a big role in whether come back and get active themselves. Also, many people may choose to "lurk", reading, but not responding; sometimes not even "liking". Often lurkers will eventually get comfortable enough to comment, and start their own posts, forum topics, blogs, etc. 

So, those of us who want to see this network grow and improve should ourselves persevere even if things are slow, so as to inspire others to become more involved in the conversations and mutual support. 

Certainly your habit of welcoming new members and regularly greeting the rest us (in posts on the front page) not only contributes to the activity level, but also keeps the mood positive and friendly. That too is important: the mood would be drier without that, and less attractive to many. 

• 10 posts
    January 23, 2019 3:42 PM PST
    The following is a list of posts that have been made on the main page of this Website that may prove beneficial towards others. Please click on links for further information.

Mark DeFillo: On ULCM's Open Ordination
    I find myself thinking about ways that ministers could support this church, and indeed similar churches with the same or similar ideals and methods, in the face of disdain and/or official non-recognition from certain quarters. The primary reason for such feelings from others is the ease of en...

Mark DeFillo: Towards a Theology of the Universe
    "We Are Children of the same Universe" Since this is one of the defining statements of the Universal Life Church Monastery, it behooves us to consider the "Universe" from a theological viewpoint, in the context of our interfaith fellowship. This article is just a beginning, far from the end. I do ...

Mark DeFillo: Divinity Self-Education: Resources and Suggestions
    INTRODUCTION Among the credentials available to ministers of the Universal Life Church Monastery is the honorary Doctor of Divinity degree. There are more than one website affiliated with our church, and they describe the degrees slightly differently sometimes; as of this writing, the description o...

This post was edited by Larry Makinson at January 23, 2019 4:11 PM PST