Welcome to the ULC Minister's Network

Forums » General Discussion

Can a person still sin after being saved?

• February 7, 2020 5:59 PM PST
    I believe Jesus Christ cleansed us by His blood once and for all and the only way a person can sin is by choosing to turn away from God and going back into the world and live a sinful life. Many people think we can still sin and not personally choosing to go back into the world. And that we must confess our sins after we commit them as believers. What do you think?
    • 3 posts
    February 25, 2020 12:16 PM PST

I think it'd depend on what's meant by 'choosing to go back into the world.'  Jesus did tell the woman:  "Go, and sin no more."  As humans are human and mistakes can happen, I believe it's the approach to mistakes that matter-  regret, repent, etc.  But what I've seen far too much of in recent years is the 'once saved, always saved' approach taken to mean individuals can commit horrible atrocities with no repercussions because they were 'saved' at some point in the past. 

• 12 posts
    March 5, 2020 6:46 AM PST
    Of course.Part of what Jesus taught was how you treat others, what you do with yourself, it's a choice. Every moment of every day we choose how to be and what to do with ourselves. We decide if we should be helping or harming. What else did Jesus do? He spent time in the squallers. He took care of the sick, the needy. It didn't matter gender or system of belief, as long as you continue making the choices to take care.

I also think one of the things he taught was forgiveness. It is clear we are all flawed. We all make mistakes. Sometimes we do make the wrong choices. I think when someone knowingly and willfully choose to do something that is clearly not going to end well, that person is purposefully dividing themselves from the divine, which is the epitome of sin. I honestly don't think it's possible to never be saved again for that reason. But it's also important to not do so frivolously.

The short of it, yes. By choice and deed, a person can be saved and then make choices that would be considered sinful.
    This post was edited by Amber Fry at March 5, 2020 6:47 AM PST
  • April 9, 2020 2:47 PM PDT
    Thank you for posting a reply.