Welcome to the ULC Minister's Network

Forums » Visionary Discussion

My vision is to Minister to convicts

• November 3, 2016 3:57 PM PDT

I wish to get inside the heads of these people and find out where they went wrong, and figure out how to get them back to god. I would

enjoy very much the advice of other Ministers who have traveled this road. May the blessings of the lord befall us all. 

• 37 posts
    April 3, 2017 9:51 AM PDT

Hi, Norman,

I'm apart of a Re-entry Ministry. Re-entry is the convict after release. In other words Re-entering society. 

What it seems that you are asking Norman, is on a psychological and forensic clincal perpective. I would recommend that you gain t least some basic behavioral and psychology education and work with someone in this feild that has a MSW or a LCSW degrees. As if this is what you would like to persue. 

Your heart is in the correct place. Your vision is also in the right direction. However the question is wrong. There is little you can do to turn anyperson toward God. It is not in our nature. Our nature is sin. You can interced on their behalf to the Father. As do the Angels, Saints, and Jesus. Ask the Holy Spirit t help strengthen your heart, and clear your mind. Ask for love and charity. Read Corinthians 12 and 13 to prepare yourself. What these men and women need, is true genuine love, compassion, and the hope of forgivenes. 

Most of them are scare little boys and frightened little girls trap in a soul prison of sin. What is easier to say, Your sins are forgiven or You need to turn back to God? Mny of them never knew God before.  Turn to whom? God an invible Judge? Another missing Father? Another abusive overlord? f*ck him!   No, but for you to listen, to Pray with and for them, to be like the Father in the Prodigal Son. When they are at the point of need more about God, you say, Your sin is forgiven.

Just my thoughts. I hope this helps.

Amen.

• October 9, 2017 12:56 PM PDT

Thanks so much Joseph, your words are spot on and taken to heart. Blessings...

• 21 posts
    July 6, 2019 8:08 PM PDT
    It takes a special person and especially that can keep perspective and beware. All the people that train you are training for your safety. It is a high risk ministry and I think...think....you can certify for the federal prison system as a mi minister? Its been awhile since I looked into it, but I wonder what you would find searching pastor federal prison?
    May God watch out for you and open your way.
    • 21 posts
  • October 21, 2019 3:38 PM PDT

I have been blessed, I'm working with a group named Alternatives to Violence Project, (AVP). I am so fulfilled working within the walls. I have met so many wonderful people over the last few years.

The thing I have found to be true; is that these men are not what they did. They are not their crimes.

The remorse and regrets shared by these men are monumental. I know God has forgiven them and me along with AVP are helping them to forgive themselves. I wish to thank everyone for the support and prayers.

I thank God for allowing me to do his work in this capacity.  Amen