Welcome to the ULC Minister's Network

Forums » Spiritual Corner

Question Authority and Freewill.

• 31 posts
    December 1, 2016 4:20 PM PST

I the garden of gethsemane it was recorded in the Bible, He moved "a stone's throw away" from them, where He felt overwhelming sadness and anguish, and said "My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass me by.

How I view this is to question not to follow blindly. Here is Jesus questing God. I feel this is a most powerful message giving us the right and setting an example that it’s ok to do so.

During this process, Jesus validated for himself this is correct. Do we want others to do what we ask? Or is it much better for them after soul searching to make a free and conscious choice that this is true and correct and I give myself freely.

• 32 posts
    December 1, 2016 5:49 PM PST
    what if he was asking for the sadness to be removed rather than the impending arrest and crucifixtion? Is there any scholarly work on the word "cup"? The original language, possible meanings? Just curious.
    • 31 posts
    December 1, 2016 6:13 PM PST

AM,

Great reply, after some thought this is where I went with this (in writing this it changes several times to final thought. Jesus was asking his father to remove this Cup. Being a psychologist (nothing speical just a lot of years working with people and sadness) the person with the sadness is the only one who can remove it (others do provide help and support to get hings moving). He was asking for something he had no control over, His father plan, only the father could remove it.

I really enjoyed this. Not saying I'm correct just my thought. 

• 2 posts
    March 4, 2017 1:22 PM PST

I think he said those things to convey to others that he knew what it was like to be human and feel seperated from God.   Suffering is part of the path of humanity and our minds don't always know why.

• 32 posts
    April 18, 2017 11:01 PM PDT
    Indeed, Marie