Welcome to the ULC Minister's Network

Forums » Introduce Yourself

New to the forum

• 31 posts
    December 3, 2016 7:41 PM PST

Hi my brothers and sisters,

I grew up in a catholic family, went to catholic School & College and became disillusioned with the Catholic church as it seemed to be the doctrine of man not God. My brother felt the same and over the next two years went too many churches, had missionaries of many faiths over to our house for hours at a time. He met a young lady who was a Mormon and 6 months later joined. When he went on his mission my parents also converted to Mormonism. I joined the Mormon church about 3 years later and was an active member for the next 16 years and asked to be excommunicated. Held many high positions, went to the Temple and was sealed for eternity there. I joined the Army and my brother join the Air Force as an LDS chaplain and was slated to be the Assistant Chaplain of the AF and rose too very high positions in the Mormon church. I became disillusioned with the Mormon church again it seemed to be the doctrine of man not God. Surprisingly he was very supportive. Over the next 4 years went too many churches looking for I had been unable to find. A friend invited me to the Lutheran church and for the first time felt I had found close to what I was looking for. As less dominate church on how it’s members should live their lives. That we are sinners and sin, ask for forgiveness and try and do better. I took a job transfer to the other side of the US and again was not able to find a church to meet my needs. The Lutheran churches in WA state was not like the one in TX. Went to some non-denominational and my same disillusionment was back.

The Book The Shack by William P. Young which was seen as the writing of a heretic by the so called religious leaders and scholars around the world. For me it was the most life transformational event.

At that point I decided to get ordained and started my own church which I did. I bought a house with a large basement which I didn’t need for living. It had a separate entrance, large open room, bathroom, kitchenette and 2 rooms for Sunday school. Friends donated chairs, decorations, and other things that were needed. Others brought refreshments and there was a signup list and some left a few bucks, or brought coffee, cup, and the like.

It was a very simple theology. Since there was no need to collect money for operations we could focus on what Jesus asked us to do. Love God, love your neighbor, love yourself and feed my sheep. Tithing was doing community service, we had a homeless outreach, help with a community garden, cook and served meals at a food kitchen once a week and non-structured volunteer work whatever someone wanted to do.

About 8 years later I came to OKC for my daughter’s graduation from Culinary school and realized that there was more than having a successful career and new I need to be here with her and 3 grandchildren. So, when I went back I let everybody my plans were to move to OKC in 6 months. I have work very hard like many people and have been extremely blessed so at the age of 59 I was able to leave my career. My life is simple and in service to His sheep. I do 2 half days a week doing hospital visitation’s, I night a week on the streets downtown working with a Baptist church feeding the homeless and prayers as requested. 9 hours a week at 3 united way agencies, and on the board of a chartable family trust who provides college scholarship for young men and women seeking careers in fields that help people.

My life is full and blessed. The Lord provides us skills & talents not for us but to be shared in the service of others.